How can we help you?

If the name on the cheque differs to the account name because you have changed your name (e.g. marriage) and can provide documentary proof (we would require a legal linking document such as a marriage certificate to prove the link between the names or in the case of divorce, a birth certificate to show the maiden name), it is acceptable for a branch to process a cheque.

However, if the name on the cheque is different and does not meet the above criteria, we won't be able to process the cheque.

Ask Cora

Cora can help you with a wide range of queries and show you how to do your banking.

Available 24/7

Find Cora in the mobile app, Online Banking or our website