Looking for answers
Ask a question

Where can I get Free Independent Money Advice?

Contact a non-profit debt-counselling organisation for support and advice, these include Money Advice Service (opens in a new window) Citizens Advice (opens in a new window). You can also get advice tailored to your situation from the StepChange Debt Charity using their free online tool (opens in a new window).

These agencies can assist with Debt Management Plans, advice on Bankruptcy, IVAs (Involuntary Arrangements), Debt Relief Orders and give you general advice about budgeting. Please find more information on Free Independent Money Advice.

You don’t have to enter your name and it only takes about 20 minutes. These organisations offer free, confidential help so there's no need to pay a debt management company to advise you.

Things to think about

It’s worth getting together some information before you call anyone to talk about your situation. Most organisations will ask about your income, your household expenses, how much you owe and who you owe it to. If you decide to get further support from a debt charity or organisation, you might need to also provide:

  • Salary slips
  • Evidence of tax credits or benefits
  • Utility bills
  • Mortgage statements/rent details
  • Evidence of other household expenditure
  • Copies of any credit agreements you have
  • Bank statements
  • More details about each of your debts

30 Day 'Breathing Space' commitment

As part of our commitment to help borrowers struggling to repay their debts, we will provide 30 days 'Breathing Space' during which time we will suspend any collection activity, providing:

  • a not-for-profit debt advice agency has been engaged and;
  • they formally notify us that you are in serious discussions with them to agree a repayment plan.