Ask a question

I need to notify you of a death outside of the UK, how can I do this?

We will need to see the original death certificate supplied by the local authorities in the country where the person died. If the death certificate is in a language other than English we will need a certified translation.

We can accept one of the following types of translations:

  • A Foreign Death Certificate with the translation already incorporated into the original document
  • A non-incorporated translation completed by a UK or Non-UK based translation company. For UK based translators/companies they will need to be registered with one of the following recognised organisations:
    • Chartered Institute of Linguists
    • Institute of Translation & Interpreting
    • Translator employed by a company who is a member of the Association of Translation Companies

All non-incorporated translations will need the translator to confirm the following details on the document:

  • It is a true and accurate translation of the original document.
  • Date of translation
  • Full name and contact details
  • Signature
  • Registration No. (if applicable).

Alternatively we can accept one of the following:

  • A Consular Death Registration Certificate (obtained by registering the Foreign Death Certificate in the UK)
  • A Foreign Death Certificate supported by a UK Solicitor’s Death Verification Form

Please use our online notification service (opens in a new window)

If you don't have a UK mobile number, please call us on:

0800 161 5903
overseas: +44 1204 684658
Minicom: 0800 404 6161
Open Monday to Friday 9am - 5pm

If the death certificate is in a language other than English we will need a certified translated death certificate.